Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Practice Areas

By Bankruptcy Attorney

I have been an Attorney for several years and I have gone through several practice areas since opening my own law firm.

I originally had three (3) or so practice areas which i decided i would enter into because they were "hot" at the time.

I recently spoke to a solo who had been practicing for 20 something years and he told me that he had managed to stay alive by changing his practice areas with the times.


Here are my recommendations:

1. Do what interests you, because if you hate what you do it will show.

2. Change and alter an area or two as the market changes.

3. Stay informed. I know CLE is boring, but sometimes it can be extremely helpful. I am constantly updating myself on changes in the law.

4. Have a mentor in your corner for each area of law you practice so that you can pick their brain when you need to. Listservs can be extremely helpful. I head one solo listserv and I am on two others. We freely ask questions and exchange referrals.

5. Market yourself. It does not cost money sometimes to attend networking events or to call up your friends and let them know you are now solo and what you do. Create a website and send out some promotional information.


Good Luck solo, its a competitive market out there!


No comments:

support the sole practitioner cause